Have you got some questions and are looking for answers? We are here to help! Click on the sections below to find your answer.
If you still can’t find what you are looking for, please contact us.
+ Who is Norse Stone?
We are a team of hard working, skilled individuals led by managing director, Michael Ronaldson. Based in the North of mainland Scotland in our Lieurary Quarry, we specialise in the production of Caithness flagstone products doing everything from extracting the stone to hand finishing your individual order.
+ What is Caithness Flagstone?
In short, it is a devonian sandstone named after the county in which it is most commonly found. A very versatile and durable material, it has many uses. You can find out more about our stone here.
+ Do you supply or process any other materials?
At the moment, Norse Stone only supply and process Caithness Flagstone however we are always looking to develop our skills and business in the future.
+ How many quarries do you operate?
We currently have two quarries. Our main quarry is Lieurary where our workshop and processing facilities are also based and our second is at Banniskirk.
+ Can you make orders to specific sizes?
Yes, all orders are individually made by the Norse Stone team so bespoke orders with unique sizes, shapes and thicknesses are perfectly achievable.
+ Do you provide a design service?
We do have an in-house design team who can help with your specific order requirements. Contact us to begin the design process.
+ What finishes are available?
Orders can be made using different surface finishes and edging ranging from the natural textured Riven finish to the high sheen on our High Polished finish. Check out our Guide to Stone Finishes blog which looks at each finish and their recommended uses. If you are still not sure which of our surface finishes to choose, request a sample.
+ What thickness do I need to order?
Different products are recommended to be made using different thicknesses. For example a hearth is usually made anywhere between 25mm and 45mm thickness. There is also the option of having your stone thickness calibrated for those projects that require a more precise finish. Contact us and we can advise you of the best thickness depending on your order.
+ What is your production lead time?
Our lead times can vary depending on the time of year and current work loads. On average our lead time is 3 weeks however we will provide an updated lead time when an order is placed. If you would like an up to date lead time before ordering, please contact us.
+ What is the life expectancy of Caithness Flagstone?
Caithness is scattered with walls and buildings made using Caithness flagstone, some of which are easily a hundred years old. Because of our materials natural durability, you can expect an almost unrivalled life expectancy across our product range. See our roofing brochure for a comparison example against other commonly used materials.
+ Has your material gone under any official testing?
Yes, our Caithness flagstone is CE labeled has been tested according to the following British Standards:
- BS EN 12407:2007, Natural stone test methods. Petrographic examination.
- BS EN 1936:2006, Natural stone test methods. Determination of real density and apparent density, and of total and open porosity.
- BS EN 13755:2008, Natural stone test methods. Determination of water absorption at atmospheric pressure.
- BS EN 12372: 2006, Natural stone test methods. Determination of flexural strength under concentrated load.
- BS EN 12372: 2006, Natural stone test methods. Determination of flexural strength under concentrated load, after 56 cycles of frost conditioning to BSEN 12371 2010.
- BS EN 1926:2006, Natural stone test methods. Determination of uniaxial compressive strength.
- BS EN 1926:2006, Natural stone test methods. Determination of uniaxial compressive strength, after 56 cycles of frost conditioning to BSEN 12371 2010.
- BS EN 14231: 2003, Natural stone test methods. Determination of the slip resistance by means of the pendulum tester.
- BS EN 14157: 2004, Natural stone test methods. Determination of abrasion resistance Method A.
Results for the following can be found on our Technical page.
+ Can you deliver our order?
Yes, we can arrange delivery for orders all over Scotland and the UK. We have even sent orders overseas. If you require a quote for delivery, please contact us.
+ Can we collect our order?
Yes, collection of orders can be arranged however as it is an active work site, the day and time of collection must be arranged with us prior to arrival. Contact us to discuss a collection day and time that would suit you.
+ Can you install our order?
Unfortunately we currently do not install orders, we supply only.
+ Do you have a showroom?
We don't currently have a showroom at our quarries however we do have a selction of photo's across our website which covers our product range as well as brochures. We also have some hearths on display at RDI Renewables.